The Village of Clemmons was founded in 1802. Clemmons marked its 200th anniversary in 2002 with a year-long celebration planned by the Clemmons Historical Society. The celebration began in January with a mural being painted at The Elms which was supervised by the North Carolina Museum of Art. The "Living History Festival" was held in April and featured Roy Underhill of UNC-TV's "The Woodwrights Shop" plus many old timey crafts and trades demonstrations, music and food. The festival was held at the Clemmons Civic Center on Middlebrook Drive. During the "Living History Festival," the Clemmons Village Hall held an open house so everyone could come and see the Hattie Butner Stagecoach.
The celebration continued on Sunday afternoon, May 5th, with "Historic Places Tour." The tour included the Stagecoach House, Clemmons family graveyard, Mount Pleasant Church at Tanglewood, and the old Hope Moravian God's Acre off Highway 158.